If you find yourself single during the holidays, there is no need to panic or throw a pity party. The holidays are an electric and exciting time for making new friends or finding new love, just watch Love Actually if you need convincing. To quote Hugh Grant’s character, “If you look for it, I’ve got a sneaky feeling you’ll find that love actually IS all around.” So, let’s get to it!
Here are some suggestions on how to approach this season in the dating holiday spirit.
- Fill Your Calendar – Check in with friends, family, co-workers and find out what the hot events are this holiday season, whether it is a fall festival, a tree lighting, or an ice rink open for holiday skaters. See where people are gathering and grab a friend and go!
- Check the Mail – Take advantage of all those holiday invites, friend or neighborhood gatherings, ugly sweater contests and church events to stoke up your holiday spirit! Or even better, throw your own gathering! Invite people you’ve been interested in getting to know better.
- Join A Gym – Don’t wait until your New Year’s resolution to get into the gym, take a yoga class, Pilates or join a running club. Thanksgiving is the unofficial kick off for people to get back on the treadmill. Get a jump start on it and the rates are great this time of year.
- Coffee Tawk – The cooler temperatures tend to drive people indoors, and what better place to strike up a conversation with that cute entrepreneur sitting next to you on their laptop than at a coffee shop.
- Get Off Your Computer – Actually go into a store to purchase your gifts. There are still a lot of people wandering the aisles wondering what to get that hard to buy gift for their mother, nephew or boss. You can easily strike up a conversation about sales or gift ideas.
- Hire A Matchmaker – This is a great time to enlist the professional services of a matchmaker. Obviously at 1 True Match we are going to recommend using a company that will conduct background checks, confirm compatibility and has a network for qualified candidates to select from. 1 True Match is a great place to start your search for that committed relationship!
For those that would like to enjoy the holidays solo, this is a great time of year to focus on yourself and/or connect with all those people you’ve been meaning to reach out to!
- Pick up the Phone – Call that friend you haven’t spoken to forever, check on those nieces and nephews, godchildren or that cousin who you last saw at her wedding. You never know when one of these check in calls can turn into an invite to come by. These are people who you have a connection with and would love to see you if they knew you were available.
- Plan A Day Trip – Do the thing that you can never convince anyone to do with you! Check out the latest exhibit in your local museum, or a foreign film, take a bike ride around the park, be a tourist in a town a few hours away. There is nothing more freeing than having control over your own agenda.
- Volunteer Your Time – You always get more than you give when spending your time giving back to someone in need. There are plenty of volunteer organizations that can steer you towards a charity that may need a volunteer for the day, an extra set of hands on a project or a longer commitment that helps you make a big change in your community.
- Dig into A Project – Everyone has that project they have been putting off. No, we’re not suggesting you do your taxes, ugh. But…if getting your taxes done will make you want to open that bottle of bubbly at the end, then maybe do it! But seriously, is there a room you’ve wanted to paint, or old photos you need to organize, a closet you should clean out? These are all projects we tend to put off but end up feeling great when they are complete.
- Indulge, Pamper and Spoil Yourself – This could be a day at the spa, a shopping spree, a Netflix marathon, a long nap or luxurious bubble bath. There are dozens of ways to indulge yourself in some self-care. This is the perfect time to take care of you and restore yourself emotionally, physically and spiritually.
Being in a relationship is a full-time commitment so if you don’t meet that special someone, then embrace your single time. Have confidence that love is out there and don’t put so much pressure on finding that person by a certain date and time. Every season of your life is an opportunity to learn more about yourself and grow as a person. Consider that the person God has for you is still learning about themselves as well, and when they are ready, your paths will cross.
Have the confidence that love will happen at the right time, plus people are always attracted to confidence!